Dan Savage appears to be a constant source of controversy in the LGBT community, and some recent comments he made may have been the last straw.
At a high school journalism convention recently, Savage told the audience there was “bullshit in the Bible” that needed to be ignored. Some people walked out, and Savage called them “pansy-assed,” for which he later apologized.
In this article, columnist Jay Michaelson argues that Savage’s comments were just as harmful to the LGBT community as they would have been if they were made by a super conservative a la Rick Santorum. It’s an unfortunately common misconception that people have to choose between religion and an LGBT identity, and Savage’s comments could certainly be taken as alienating to queer people of faith.
A select blurb:
It’s all well and good for a religious progressive to insist that the Bible be interpreted selectively. But where does that leave kids growing up in religious communities committed to a more conservative view? Must such communities abandon their faith and adopt Dan Savage’s theology in order to affirm and include their LGBT members? If that were the price of inclusion, I know many communities would refuse to pay it. But fortunately, it is not. Very traditional religious values, no theological salad bar required, support inclusion and affirmation of LGBT lives. No matter what Rick Santorum, and now Dan Savage, says.
A lot of you have very strong thoughts about Dan Savage and obviously about Rick Santorum. What do you think? Legitimate accusation?
If nothing else, a very provocative headline.
- karmadi11o likes this
- actyourrage answered: Dan Savage is worse for the queer community than a lot of heterosexists.
- stephanyk likes this
- maxette likes this
- queerplusorminus reblogged this from femalephenomenonglamzon
- kristeeldrake reblogged this from kateoplis
- kristeeldrake likes this
- afewmistakes reblogged this from gaywrites
- haveyouheardaboutpluto reblogged this from lavidaloco
- ji981993 reblogged this from shortformblog
- idfkman reblogged this from kateoplis
- idfkman likes this
- lavidaloco reblogged this from kateoplis
- perseuvianna answered: Booa noite tds aê ‘
- booksandhockeysticks reblogged this from safno and added:
- ideaslikestars likes this
- potcookies-captainandcoke likes this
- marifline reblogged this from kateoplis
- ohhforpetesake likes this
- ssbella81 reblogged this from kateoplis
- joshuajabbour reblogged this from daveholmes
- notenoughhedgehogs reblogged this from kateoplis
- bad-jew-jew likes this
- annyoudeviousbastard reblogged this from ibad
- brilliantfish reblogged this from kateoplis
- brilliantfish answered: amen.
- starbuckleup likes this
- bencourts likes this
- thelowlyxprince likes this
- joycegarcia likes this
- leavesandstones reblogged this from kateoplis
- catherinepunkcollins reblogged this from shortformblog
- lukepygman likes this
- sarahanaisk likes this
- ker-g answered: There is no verse in Leviticus about gays. There is nothing in the bible saying anything about gays. People are just stupid.
- neocontra07 answered: I certainly hope that Dan Savage is not the voice of the LGBT community.
- alphabet-town reblogged this from kateoplis
- sharkmistress likes this
- souleddout likes this
- adistinguishedvillain reblogged this from kateoplis
- tehmish likes this
- itsjohnsen likes this
- vegetariansushi likes this
- dykelove11 reblogged this from gaywrites
- cassiescupoftea reblogged this from kateoplis
- annyoudeviousbastard likes this
- citylightscomebackinjune reblogged this from mildhorror
- sixohthree likes this
- madebynaablog reblogged this from kateoplis
- madebynaablog likes this